Street Medicine Kalamazoo (SMKzoo) offers healthcare services for people who are unhoused, living on the streets, in encampments, in shelters and other temporary housing.
This initiative was started in January 2021 by medical students, resident physicians, and attending physicians from the medical school. SMKzoo takes medical care directly to people, meeting them where they are and caring for them with compassion and respect. This helps us better understand our patients, their realities and the everyday challenges they face.
We offer the same services as a doctor's office and we take care of adults and children of all ages. Our team delivers medical and social services in encampments, at Ministry with Community and at other locations throughout the community. Our team offers:
- Primary care for adults and children
- Treatment of acute and chronic medical conditions
- Pregnancy care
- Testing and treatment for Hepatitis C
- Testing and treatment for HIV and other sexually transmitted infections
- Harm reduction services and treatment for substance use disorder, including medications for alcohol use, opioid use, and methamphetamine use disorders
- Procedures such as skin lesion biopsy and removal, incision and drainage of abcesses and laceration repair
- On-site diagnostic testing and labs
- Over-the-counter medications, antibiotics and medications for chronic medical conditions
- Referrals to other healthcare services
- Care coordination
- Referrals to other social services
- Food, water, socks, and other basic supplies
Our team currently delivers services on a weekly basis at the following locations:
- Ministry with Community: Wednesdays from 1 to 4 p.m.
- Street Rounds: Mondays from 12 to 6 p.m.
- Arcadia Park (Donations only, no medical services provided on site): Sundays from 4 to 6 p.m.
Our clinical team is led by licensed physicians and supported by resident physicians and medical students. Patients and other service providers can text or call 269.220.0372 to coordinate care or schedule a time for our team to come to them.
Our Care Team
- Sravani Alluri, MD, Director, Street Medicine Kalamazoo
- Nic Helmstetter, MD, Associate Director, Street Medicine Kalamazoo
- Devin Velasco, Class of 2024
- Ben Root, Class of 2024
- Jessica Ziccarello, Class of 2024
- Rachel Foshee, Class of 2024
- Nikoli Nickson, Class of 2025
- Paulina Cradeur, Class of 2025
- Cassidy Hinton, Class of 2025
- Marah Ranger, Class of 2026
- Neya Suresh Kumar, Class of 2026
- Mussa Ibrahim, Class of 2026