Professor, Department of Pediatric and Adolescent Medicine
Professor, Department of Medical Ethics, Humanities, and Law
Contact InformationPatient Care Related:
Dr. Shibani Kanungo MD, MPH, is an Associate Professor in the Departments of Pediatrics and Adolescent Medicine and Medical Ethics, Humanities, and Law. She is Board Certified in Pediatrics and Medical Biochemical Genetics. She is employed with Western Michigan University Homer Stryker M.D. School of Medicine. She is a Medical Biochemical (Metabolic) Geneticist and a Pediatrician. She earned her MD from the Moscow Medical Academy in June 1994. She completed her Masters in Public Health majoring in Maternal and Child Health at University of Illinois at Chicago in December 1999. She completed her residency in Pediatrics from Stony Brook University and University of Kentucky respectfully in July 2005 and September 2007. She completed her postdoctoral fellowship in Medical Genetics from the University of Pittsburg College of Medicine in July 2012. She went on to obtain an advanced fellowship in Medical Biochemical Genetics from the University of California-Los Angeles-UCLA Intercampus Genetics Training Program August 2013. She has occupied a number of positions including preceptor for Clinical Medicine-I; course instructors in Biochemistry, Maternal and Child Health in colleges of medicine and public health; Director of Newborn Screening and Metabolic Disorders and Member of Institutional Review Boards in various institutions; advisory member for various State Newborn Screening Programs. She is currently co-course director for Genetic and Metabolic Disorders course at Western Michigan University Homer Stryker M.D. School of Medicine. Her clinical, teaching, and research interests include Newborn Screening and Metabolic Disorders, long term outcomes in rare disorders.
- American Board of Medical Genetics (Medical Biochemical Genetics)
- American Board of Pediatrics (General Pediatrics)
Education and Training
- Advanced Fellowship 2013, Medical Biochemical Genetics, UCLA Intercampus Genetics Training Program, University of California-Los Angeles
- Postdoctoral Fellowship 2012, Medical Genetics, College of Medicine, University of Pittsburgh
- Residency 2007, Pediatrics, College of Medicine, University of Kentucky
- Residency 2005, Pediatrics, College of Medicine, Stony Brook University
- MPH 1999, Maternal and Child Health, School of Public Health, University of Illinois at Chicago
- MD 1994, Medicine, Moscow Medical Academy
- Hindi, fluent
Ross S.D., Rudowski S., Kanungo S. Spinal Muscular Atrophy: An Overview OBM Genetics. 2023;7
Yan K., Cheng G., Zhou W., Xiao F., Zhang C., Wang L., Zhang P., Lu C., Kong Y., Wang X., Zhou Y., Lu W., Tang J., Song X., Wei Q., Meng D., Yao L., Zhuang D., Qu L., Xu Q., Yin Z., Su L., Wan J., Si Y., Fujioka K., Mussap M., Kanungo S., Bhandari V., Huang W., Pan X., Zhou W. Incidence of Neonatal Seizures in China Based on Electroencephalogram Monitoring in Neonatal Neurocritical Care Units JAMA Network Open. 2023;6(7):E2326301.
Kanungo S., Beenen K.T. Role of Psychologists in Pediatric Metabolic Disorders Pediatric Clinics of North America. 2022;69:1003-1016.
Schrier Vergano S.A., Kanungo S., Arnold G. Making Decisions About Krabbe Disease Newborn Screening Pediatrics. 2022;149
Arnold G.L., Kanungo S., Bush L. Metabolic providers in crisis – Burning out on the road to burnout? Molecular Genetics and Metabolism. 2021;134:285-286.
Burke M., Parikh S., Kanungo S. Teaching anticipatory guidance for the newborn Caring for the Newborn: A Comprehensive Guide for the Clinician. Second Edition. 2021:183-195.
Greydanus D.E., Dickson C., Kanungo S., Merrick J. Introduction: From lilith to shiphrah and puah-and beyond: What have we learned about caring for the newborn in the past 300 millennia? Caring for the Newborn: A Comprehensive Guide for the Clinician. Second Edition. 2021:xxix-xlvii.
Greydanus D.E., Kanungo S., Dickson C., Merrick J. Caring for the newborn: A comprehensive guide for the clinician. second edition Caring for the Newborn: A Comprehensive Guide for the Clinician. Second Edition. 2021:1-517.
Kanungo S., Samuel S., Ramsay J., Neelakantan M., Saeedian J. Newborn screening Caring for the Newborn: A Comprehensive Guide for the Clinician. Second Edition. 2021:43-63.
Kanungo S., Barr J., Crutchfield P., Fealko C., Soares N. Ethical Considerations on Pediatric Genetic Testing Results in Electronic Health Records Applied Clinical Informatics. 2020;11:755-763.
Alsukhon J., Elisa A., Kanungo S., Azmeh R. Severe combined immunodeficiency-a purine metabolism disorder Pediatric Medicine. 2018;1
Patel D.R., Apple R., Kanungo S., Akkal A. Intellectual disability: Definitions, evaluation and principles of treatment Pediatric Medicine. 2018;1
Chung P., Kanungo S., Patel D.R. Hearing impairment Health Care for People with Intellectual and Developmental Disabilities Across the Lifespan. 2016:1179-1196.
Soares N., Wu Q., Kanungo S. Developmental-Behavioral Pediatric Teaching of Medical Students: A National COMSEP Survey Teaching and Learning in Medicine. 2014;26:366-372.
Kanungo S., Soares N., He M., Steiner R.D. Sterol metabolism disorders and neurodevelopment-an update Developmental Disabilities Research Reviews. 2013;17:197-210.
Omar H.A., Zakharia R.M., Kanungo S., Huff M., McClanahan K. Incidence of galactorrhea in young women using Depot-Medroxyprogesterone Acetate. TheScientificWorldJournal. 2006;6:538-541.
- Newborn Screening in Pediatric Endocrine Disorders. Kanungo, S, 7th World Congress of Diabetes & World Congress of Endobolism, Lisbon, Portugal, 07/2023
- Newborn Screening research consent in the United States â can variations create an ethical, policy or a public health problem?. Kanungo S, Sullivan B, Clinical Bioethics Session, 2023 Pediatric Academic Society , Washington DC, Washington DC, 04/2023
- Newborn Screening Research and Consent â A Review of the Current Landscape in the US. Kanungo S, Sullivan B, APHL Newborn Screening Symposium, Tacoma, WA, 10/2022
- SGLT2 inhibitor use in adult GSD1a - a case report of improved glucose homeostasis without worsening of hypoglycemia. Kanungo, S), 14th International Congress Of Inborn Error of Metabolism, Sydney, Australia, 11/2021
- Genetic Causes of Chronic Liver Disease in Pediatrics. Fealko C, Abdeljaber M, Sieloff EM, Boyer JD, Maajali D, Huffman C, Kanungo K, Melgar T, 38th Annual Kalamazoo Community Medical and Health Sciences Virtual Research Day, Kalamazoo, Michigan, 04/2021
- Race and Chronic Kidney Disease in Southwest Michigan. Reardon R, Kanungo S, 38th Annual Kalamazoo Community Medical and Health Sciences Virtual Research Day, Kalamazoo, Michigan, 04/2021
- Improving Newborn Screening Performance â using electronic health record, employee engagement and family friendly access strategies in a rural health care setting. Kanungo S, APHA 2016 Annual Meeting & Expo, Denver, CO, 10/2016
- Aromatic L-amino acid decarboxylase (AADC) deficiency - a novel mutation clinical, biochemical features and gene therapy outcomes. Kanungo S, Hwu WL, 39th Annual Society of Inherited Metabolic Disorders , Ponte Vedra Beach, FL, 04/2016
- Spinal Cord Anomalies In Smith-Lemli-Opitz Syndrome (SLOS) â New Addition To The Phenotype Spectrum. Kanungo S, Conley S, Baker EH, Vockley J, Porter FD, 12th International Congress Of Inborn Error of Metabolism, Barcelona, Spain, 09/2013
- Glycogen Storage Disease (GSD) IX c â A Case Report Of Novel Clinical, Molecular And Pathological Features And Long Term Outcome Post Liver Transplantation. Kanungo S, Aguilar J, Lassman C, McDiarmid S, Abdenur JA, 12th International Congress Of Inborn Error of Metabolism, Barcelona, Spain, 09/2013
- Glutaric Aciduria type 1(GA-1): California Newborn Screening (NBS) Program Experience on Detection, With and Without Derivatization, And Long Term Clinical Outcome. Kanungo S, Feuchtbaum L, Sremba L, Lorey F, Abdenur JA, 12th International Congress of Inborn Error of Metabolism, Barcelona, Spain, 09/2013
- Neurodevelopmental and Molecular Characteristics in Children with a new Sterol Metabolism disorder â SC4MOL deficiency. Kanungo S, Wolfe L, Chang R, Wedgeworth E, Vockley J, 3rd Conference on Clinical Research for Rare Diseases, Rockville, MD, 10/2012
- Developmental-Behavioral Pediatric Teaching of Medical Students: A National Survey of Clerkship Directors. Soares N, Kanungo S, Seyfer D, Society for Developmental-Behavioral Pediatrics (SDBP) Annual Meeting, San Antonio, TX, 09/2011
- Integrating Basic Science and Clinical Education â A Novel Premedical Experience to Engage Undergraduates. Kanungo S, Stratton T, Watt D, The Generalists in Medical Education Conference, Washington DC, Washington DC, 11/2010
- Using Geo-mapping to assess Developmental-Behavioral Pediatric Telemedicine Service Utilization and Cost-effectiveness. Patidar N, Soares N, Kanungo S, Johnson A, American Telemedicine Association (ATA) Pediatric Telehealth Colloquium, Baltimore, MD, 08/2010
- TIDBIT across Appalachian Kentucky. Soares N, Kanungo S, AAP NCE Community Pediatrics Reception, Washington DC, Washington DC, 10/2009