Where Our Graduates Go

Over the last 10 years, 78% of our chief residents have gone on to subspecialty training fellowships of their choice. The remaining 22% have chosen to practice as general surgeons immediately following graduation. Our program is designed to produce technically outstanding surgeons who can choose their next position, no matter the desired subspecialty, practice type, or setting. Our diverse and individualized training opportunities leave all these doors open. Our graduates in recent years have matched into fellowship training or entered practice as follows:

Class of 2022

  • Katherine Kramme, MD: Breast Surgery Fellowship, The University of Southern California, Los Angeles
  • Kristofer Nava, MD: Minimally Invasive Surgery (MIS) Fellowship, Spectrum Health, Grand Rapids
  • Rebecca Rice, MD: Advanced GI MIS/Bariatrics/Foregut Fellowship, Wake Forest Baptist Health, North Carolina 

Class of 2021

  • Richa Khatri, MD: Surgical Critical Care Fellowship, Wayne State University
  • Lauren Kwasny, DO: Hospital Practice, Lansing, Michigan
  • Laura Stearns, DO: Hospital Practice, Mount Carmel, Illinois

Class of 2020

  • Mohamed Arafeh, MD: Surgical Critical Care Fellowship, Brown University
  • Jairo Espinosa, MD: Cardiothoracic Surgery Fellowship, Temple University
  • Gulrez Mahmood, MD: Vascular Surgery Fellowship, Vanderbilt University

Class of 2019

  • Hira Abidi, MD: Breast Oncology Surgery Fellowship, University of Texas SW
  • Steven Lu, DO: Colorectal Surgery Fellowship, Lehigh Valley Hospital
  • David Schutter, MD: Advanced Laparoscopy Fellowship, Franciscan Health System

Class of 2018

  • Ryan Bly, MD: Private Practice, Surgical Associates of Neenah
  • Matthew Pryor, MD: Surgical Critical Care Fellowship, Saint Joseph Mercy
  • Jorge Weber, MD, Vascular Surgery Fellowship, University of Tennessee

Class of 2017

  • Daniel Krcelic, MD: Vascular Surgery Fellowship, Henry Ford Health System
  • Julia Miladore, MD: Vascular Surgery Fellowship, Indiana University
  • Kyle Seudeal, MD: Advanced GI Surgery Fellowship, St. Vincent’s Hospital

Class of 2016

  • Kelsey Berndt, MD: Surgical Critical Care Fellowship, University of Minnesota
  • Jason Ryan, MD: Vascular Surgery Fellowship, Henry Ford Hospital

Class of 2015

  • Brian Hill, MD: Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery Fellowship, University of South Carolina
  • Dwight Slater, MD: Cardiothoracic Surgery Fellowship, University of Cincinnati

Class of 2014

  • Alain Elian, MD: Minimally Invasive and Bariatric Surgery Fellowship, University of Wisconsin
  • Kelly Ming, MD: Private Practice, Watertown, SD

Class of 2013

  • Elizabeth Steensma, MD: Critical Care Fellowship, University of Michigan
  • Jacqueline Wegge, MD: Plastic Surgery Fellowship, University of Texas, Houston

Class of 2012

  • Mohamed Elgamal, MD: Advanced GI Fellowship, Thomas Jefferson University
  • David Bartholomew, MD: Hospital Practice, Battle Creek, MI
  • Elisha Robinson, MD: Breast Surgery Fellowship, Advocate Christ Medical Center
  • Joshua Schulte, MD: Hospital Practice, Maple Grove, MN

Class of 2011

  • D. Brandon Minnick, DO: Hospital Practice, Kalamazoo, MI

Class of 2010

  • Tara Mancl, MD: Hospital Practice, Olean, NY